My Story

Note from Sharon Kay


As long as I can remember, I have loved music, nature, and sunshine. My Grandpa loved me like I was an Angel. When he died I felt lost and alone. I thought death was the end of life. I searched for truth in so many different churches who all taught that they were right and every other denomination was wrong which never felt good to me. Somehow I knew that Jesus was more than they were portraying him being. I found God in nature and in love. The God I knew was not the judgmental, angry God all the churches talked about, but a loving, adoring God that my Grandpa Ira had showed me through his love. 


My "awakening" took a huge leap the night I received JONATHAN LIVINGSTON SEAGULL by Richard Bach at a White Elephant Christmas Party in 1982. Something in me stirred the minute my eyes caught sight of the book someone else had opened. I KNEW, in that moment, I had to have that book even though I had never heard of it. I began reading it in the wee hours of the morning after the party. Jonathan became my hero. He taught me that I could do anything even if I felt like an outcast. I could be different like him. I could fly higher and faster than the flock. It was all up to me.


Then came ILLUSIONS and all of Richard Bach's other books. Through a second divorce, my attorney introduced me to a New Thought church in Oregon, which taught what I had known my whole life... that Love is the answer to everything.... and God IS LOVE and we are all ONE. I had finally found my church home which then led me to Marianne Williamson, Dr. Wayne Dyer, Dr. Deepak Chopra, Lao Tzu, The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, A Course In Miracles and so many others. I studied under Jack Canfield, Barry Spilchuk and Bernard Dohrmann at IBI and with the Ascended Masters at Self-Empowerment Institute in the late 90s.


I healed many core beliefs and finally learned that my beloved Grandpa didn't die and that there is NO DEATH. I was set free to LOVE at a deeper level than ever before, now unafraid. My heart opened one blessed day in 1991 when I met my beloved twin-soul, though I did not know that at the time. Shortly after our meeting poems began coming to me in the middle of the night as love poured through me onto the pages of my journal.  In 9 months I had recorded 36 poems. I declared to my artist friend, Elsie Petrequin that I was "going to publish my book" and asked if she would illustrate it with her magical, artistic, calligraphic hand. Soon my first book, ONE LIGHT ONE LOVE, was born. I cried as the first of 200 copies of this beautiful hand-bound, hard-backed volume was  placed in my hands just 3 months and 3 days after I said those words. Little did I know that this was a $23,000 project that would be accomplished when I had almost no money. Thoughts DO become things.


A year later I co-created a music CD with an amazing Washington accoustic guitarist, Michael McCabe. Our CD, ONE LIGHT ONE LOVE, Vol. I, was created, recorded and mastered in just 15 half-days because we said we “wanted to do an album together.”  The album has put autistic children to sleep and is now packaged in the back of the Limited Edition of ONE LIGHT ONE LOVE.


Now, nearly 20 years later, I have 4 published books with 6 more books being readied for print and 3 more in the process of being written.


My "journey" has been a magical one in which I have been led by Spirit one step at a time and one day at a time. My journey of learning and living each day gives me the material, inspiration, freedom and joy to co-creatively conspire with the Universe every moment of every day to "dream the impossible dream".... and to watch the miracles appear, to acknowledge and give gratitude to Source and then to write about my experiences. 


It truly is "a wonderful life"when you declare IT IS!  I know this because I learned it the hard way by creating the opposite.... OUCH! It's all about choice... and I love to choose. As Mikey says, “Try it! You'll like it!”


Happy "Choosing"!!!!


Sharon Kay

My Grandsons - VIDEOS

This video slideshow was created by my daughter, Michelle to celebrate my grandson, Dylan's 6th birthday, March 7, 2011



February 2013 - This Video Slideshow, created by my daughter, Michelle (Warren) Webb details their family getaway in the mountains SE of LA. California kids can experience a winter wonderland, too.

My Family's Story


The Howard Smith Family Story


Howard Smith met Thelma Gay when he went to work on her father's farm.  They dated through high school in Midland, MI. They were married in Rolla, Missouri on July 12, 1941 while Howard was in the army. Their first child, Howard Albert Smith, Jr. died when he was only 16 days old in 1942.

When Howard was sent to Europe in 1944 during World War II, Thelma lived with his parents, Ira and Murle Smith on Pershing Street. Later that year, I was born, Sharon Kay Smith, on December 24.


After being wounded in France in 1945, Dad was sent back to the States and resumed his work at the Dow Chemical Company in Midland. On December 31, 1945 my brother, Gerald Ira “Butch” was born.  My brother John William came into the world 14 months later on February 4, 1947.


Grandpa and Grandma Smith purchased a forty-acre farm three miles north of Freeland in 1946.  They sold Mom and Dad one acre so that we could build our family home.  Mom, Dad and my brothers and I slept in a small travel trailer while Mom and Dad built our 3-bedroom, cinder-block, ranch-style house with hot water radiant heating in the floors. Our feet were never cold even in the dead of winter. 


The farm was on Cass Avenue Road was a dirt road which turned to mud every spring and was never plowed in the winter forcing us to walk a half-mile for the bulk of each school year to catch the bus.  The walks got especially difficult when the wind piled up huge snow drifts or the spring rains turned the clay-dirt into slippery mud.  Cars made deep ruts in the road that would swallow our rubber boots if we weren't  careful. More than once one of my rubber boots was sucked right off my foot.


I loved growing up on the “farm”. Grandpa had pigs , cows that Grandma milked, chickens, turkeys, geese and ducks. All the animals eventually became our food. Grandma had a garden behind the farm house. 


We loved to play in the hay mow in the loft of the red barn. We built play houses out of hay bales and swung on a long rope like monkeys flying from the tops of the hay bales and dropping into the loose hay on the loft floor.


In late summer we rode in the grain wagon and walked barefoot in the warm, freshly threshed wheat that poured into the wagon from above.


In the early years on the farm, Mom drove the tractor to plow, disk and drag the fields preparing them for planting while Dad and Grandpa worked at the chemical plant and Grandma took care of us.  One day Dad hollered at her for doing something wrong so she got off the tractor. My little brother John, who had learned to drive the tractor and was only seven, climbed up onto the tractor and started driving it. Mom never had to till another field.


Grandma taught us how to make butter, hang clothes on the line to dry, play cards, to pull weeds in the vegetable garden, to play cat-in-the-cradle and how to teach newborn mice to “swim” in the ditch. We laughed about “teaching mice to swim” for many years to come.


One day Grandpa came home with a big surprise-- a shetland pony with only one eye. We didn't care because we were so excited to have a pony to ride. Her name was Diane. None of our cousins had one, so we had lots of visitors. Shetlands are notoriously cantankerous, but Diane was a master. You could ride her until she tired of you. Then she would head toward the nearest apple tree in the orchard and run under a low hanging branch to knock you off.  After a couple of times, the rider learned to jump off before she reached a tree. Many a novice bit the dust before they knew what she was doing. Most horses and ponies love to be brushed. Diane was no exception, but she would wait until my back was turned to brush her withers and then bite me in the butt. She had lots of bad habits. Perhaps that is how Grandpa got her for a song.


 We learned to check on the whereabouts of Diane before we ventured to cross the orchard. If she spotted you, she came running with her ears back and chase you to the other side of the orchard. We learned to run very fast.


During the summer months we played “gold-rush” in the old buckboard in the orchard, chased butterflies, climbed apple trees, caught fireflies in Mason jars in the evening, laid in the grass watching cloud animals appear and disappear, played in the sand hill at the back of the forty and rode Diane. When I was very little I played with my dolls under the Wolf River apple tree right behind our house. The  giant apples from this tree were so big it only took one or two apples to make an apple pie.


In the winter we built igloos in the deep show drifts, built snowmen, sledded on the large ice covered puddles in the back of our house and ice skated on the sheets of ice formed by water lying in the low areas of the path we had worn between our house and Grandma's.  John ice skated hour after hour and flew like the wind. No matter how many times I tried, weak ankles kept me from ever skating for more than a few minutes.


My brothers got in to trouble more than once over the years. Grandma and Grandpa had a collie named Ring. John and Ring were inseparable. One summer day, when  John was very young, he came up missing. Mom and Grandma looked everywhere calling his name. They checked the house, the barn, the corn crib, the chicken coop. They finally noticed that Ring was gone, too, so were a bit relieved but still couldn't find him anywhere. Finally Mom went to the chicken house and unlocked the door. There she found John sleeping on Ring in the corder of the chicken coop. He had crawled in through the small open door where the chickens entered.


Shortly after our house was finished, Dad and Grandpa built a concrete block garage and moved all their furniture and belongings into the garage.  Grandma and Grandpa lived there while neighbors and family built a new two bedroom house for them. They were happy to be in their new house instead of the unfinished garage.


One night I was awakened by a strange glow coming in through my bedroom window which faced our grandparent's house. I looked out my window, saw that the garage was engulfed in flames and woke up Mom and Dad. Everything inside the garage was destroyed-- family heirlooms, pictures, etc. No one was hurt and the flames never spread to the barn or main house. It was a terrifying experience for the entire family. 


We were always thinking up new things to do, which is infinitely possible on a farm. One day we were playing in the barnyard. We decided it would be fun to ride the small Holstein calf.  John and I elected Butch to be the first to ride. We held on to the halter of the young bull while Butch climbed up the barnyard fence. The bull bucked, threw him onto the the barbed wire on the top of the fence and took off. We ran to see if Butch was all right. He sat on the ground crying while the blood seeped out through a bulge of fat from the bend of his chubby arm. We knew we were in trouble as I ran to the house to get help. He had many stitches in his arm and we never tried to ride that bull again.


These are only a few of the many stories surrounding our wonderful life growing up on a little farm in Michigan. 

By Sharon Kay       Copyright March 2010


Newsletter Sign Up

Join Our Email List!


Listen to internet radio with Angel Fingerprints on Blog Talk Radio

GOOGLE AdSense Ads

Google Ads